Friday 25 July 2014

Holiday Haul no.3 - LIP PRODUCTS

Anyone excited for some lipstick swag? I am!































This summer, I am more or less oscillating between orange and pink. They come in all sorts of shades from natural-ish to outright crazy, sometimes even both at once. And there is always room for one more... especially if your no.1 decides to travel to another dimension and never come back. (It's been a wonderful ride, Colour Crush by Essence~ You will be remembered.)

All things AVON:
I must say that when I ordered the AVON batch, I wasn't expecting much. From my past experience with Oriflame lipsticks, I thought these would be the same sort of creamy, sheer balms that barely leave any colour behind. I was pleasantly surprised when my expectations were proven wrong. Big fan of pink renewal especially. It's probably the only nude lipstick that made it into my everyday handbag. (Calling it nude because that is as nude as I am willing to go.) Creamy melon seems to be somewhat less cooperative, sticking to creases especially if you have the sort of dry lips with little tears like me. Though I just noticed it has a sort of taste that seems to be highly chemical... though disturbingly nice. Perhaps it is simply not my colour. The last of the three is Twisted Sister, a duo lipstick that is made of 2 different colours, each on one side. Feel like putting on some berries? Or rich tangerine? Why not red grapefruit? This product can give you all of them - together (see picture on the right). As for the consistency, the pigmentation works for me but it won't last too long. You will definitely need to reapply after eating or drinking. Next!

Essence (10 Cotton Candy)

I know I keep repeating myself with all the Essence praises, but I just can't help it. I've seen better lipsticks, yes. Hell, I even own quite a few. I have lipsticks that survive steak, chocolate, coffee, noodles, or even brushing your teeth. But lipsticks from Essence occupy a tiny warm spot in my heart that will never disappear. They were one of the first I could afford and one of the first to bring me colours I like. I like the consistency because it sticks to the lips in a single even layer that doesn't crease or dry your lips. Plus they are very affordable.

When I realized that my all time favourite 08 Colour Crush is missing, I decided to try a similar shade for a while - 10 Cotton Candy. It's a little cooler, a little more lilac, sweet and fun, but it is not Colour Crush. Hopefully, that one will resurface soon.

And on to the last lipstick category contestant...

Heidi Color Last VIP Lipstick Collection (004 Funny)

THIS is one of those lipsticks that stay on no matter what you eat or drink. I haven' t really had time to test it thoroughly, but the 5 euro price tag is no doubt a bargain on this one. The colour is richly red with a tingle of warm orange. Truly longlasting, with amazing pigmentation, all packed in a neat elegant plastic container. There is only one reason to hate it and that is if you own a brand new white handbag.

***

My other two lip products are both from the lipgloss family. The first is this amazing shimmery plum by Pierre René, a brand that pretends to be French but is at least 99% Polish (you ain't fooling me with that one French contact address). However, I couldn't care less because they are getting all my remaining kudos for  this heavenly 01 Plum Passion. This thing colours my lips like a beast, the colour is very original for a lipgloss and I am yet to see another product that looks as magical as this one. (Note: Requires careful and precise application.) I would just advice that you don't sniff it too much because it did make my head swoon a bit now that I sniffed it for the review. (Is that alcohol I am smelling...wine? Probably just chemicals... mmm @_@)
Finally, last product of the day - Alverde Carrot Lipgloss. I don't even care what they really call this shade... fine, I looked. It's 10 Sunburst but it will remain "the carrot" for me. When I walked into the drugstore, intending to buy an orange lipgloss, I had two choices - this or some 8+ euro overpriced boo-boo by (probably) Maybelline. So we both know where my final choice came from. 

I am honestly happy with my choice. Smells like carrots, tastes like carrots. Since Alverde sells natural products, the pigmentation is a little bit transparent, but still rich enough to colour your lips or compliment your lipstick underneath. Not much else to say.

And now if you could excuse me, I think I got drunk off that Pierre René...

3 comments:

  1. Very nice review...it seems that you were more lucky with products by Avon than I was (the unfortunate yellow nail polish)...I cant wait to see the lipstick by Heidi on you in real life :)

    ReplyDelete